Friday 6 November 2009

Remember

I’ve always been interested in the history of the Second World War. It probably stems from my Dad watching any war film going when I was little…all of them ‘classics’, but the first memory I have of knowing that it affected my family was when I found out somehow that my beloved Granna could speak some Japanese. When I asked my Dad if he would tell me, I was told not to ask him because he’d been a Japanese POW during WWII.

Since then I know a lot more, both about what he went through and that my other Grandad and Nonnie served during the war. This year Mum and I have been researching our family history and found that three of my great-uncles were killed during the First World War and there were those that survived and like my Grandfathers possibly suffered for the rest of their lives for it.

So on Sunday I’ll watch the service on TV, and promise myself that next year I’ll go to our town memorial

100_1615

DSCF0370

None of us should ever forget what they have done for us.

Just to finish and because his life and that of his family fascinates me so much because I hardly knew any of them except for my Nan, this is my Great Grandfather “pop-pop”.

IMG_0749

3 comments:

Maria Ontiveros said...

Beautiful post. We commemorate Veteran's Day on Weds. the 11th here in the States, and I already have a post planned. Thanks for sharing,
Rinda

Tammy said...

What a great post. I too do genaeology and love to find out about those who came before. It sounds like you come from a family who has served with honor and are still paying the price. This was very moving.

Christy said...

I've always wanted to trace my genealogy but never have. Would love to know how you traced everything back?? (cute blog, too. Stopping by from Shimelle's class)