Sunday 8 November 2009

Family History

Following on from the comments left on an earlier post I wanted to post more about researching our family history.

It was prompted by inheriting all of my Nan’s photos and papers. When we asked her we got some names for them all but some are still unidentified.

Mum and I started out by searching back from my great-grandparents using the free sites such as http://www.freebmd.org.uk and its partner sites as well as the pay as you go sites such as http://www.findmypast.com .  Earlier this year having found as much as we could with those we signed up with ancestry.

The family tree software I use is limited but it suits me. This is our tree as far as it will allow us to upload.

Family Tree

The most interesting finds have been on my Mum’s side. Her great-grandfather is the illegitimate son of a local farmer and his mistress.  While her great-grandmother is descended from a man who fled from France during the Revolution and settled in a small village in Norfolk.

We’ve not gone so far as ordering certificates yet so we may find we have some of the links wrong but we have contacted long lost relatives who have found the same connections so we’re pretty sure they’re right especially in the two cases above.

1 comment:

Fun Mama - Deanna said...

Family history research is so interesting. I wish you luck as your further your research. I am a classmate from Blogging for Scrapbookers.